This topic has come up countless times. It’s one of those things where everyone knows there’s a huge opportunity, but very few have been in the weeds long enough to understand the details and true nuances of investing capital with the least amount of risk. It’s an incredible opportunity to not only potentially make some money, but also be a part of a cutting-edge industry that’s changing the way we interact with technology.
First things first, let’s talk about what web3 actually is. Essentially, it’s the next generation of the internet. Web1 was the early days of the internet, where we primarily used it to consume content. Web2 brought us social media, e-commerce, and other interactive experiences. And now, web3 businesses are all about decentralization and blockchain technology.
So, how to invest in web3? Well, there are a few ways. One option is to invest directly in cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Ethereum, or any of the thousands of altcoins out there. These coins are often used as the foundation for web3 applications and platforms. There’s plenty of other websites that talk about crypto so we won’t go further into that here.
Another option is to invest in companies that are building web3 technology. These could be startups or established companies that are pivoting towards web3. Look for companies that are creating decentralized platforms, NFT marketplaces, or other web3 applications. We’ll take a deeper look at examples of these later on.
You could also consider investing in a web3-focused fund or ETF. These investment vehicles allow you to diversify your investments across multiple web3 companies or cryptocurrencies, reducing your risk. We’ll give you some more specific examples of these later on as well.
Of course, investing always comes with some risk, so it’s important to do your research and understand what you’re getting into. Make sure you understand the technology behind web3 and the potential risks and rewards of investing in it.
Investing in web3 is a fantastic opportunity to be a part of an exciting industry that’s changing the way we interact with technology. Part of our duties at Modern Web is to help bring you the best information we can on the most “modern” web initiatives. Right now Web3 is the leading edge of this so keep reading, stay informed, and be at the forefront of sound web3 investing strategies.
Companies Creating Decentralized Platforms
There are many companies out there that are creating decentralized platforms as part of the web3 movement. These platforms aim to create more equitable and transparent systems by removing the need for centralized intermediaries like banks, corporations, or governments.
Here are a few examples of companies creating decentralized platforms:
- Ethereum: Ethereum is a blockchain-based platform that allows developers to create decentralized applications (dApps) using smart contracts. These applications can be used for a variety of purposes, from financial transactions to gaming and social networking.
- Filecoin: Filecoin is a decentralized storage network that allows users to store and retrieve data in a decentralized way. This means that instead of relying on a central server or storage provider, data is distributed across a network of nodes, making it more secure and resilient to attacks.
- Uniswap: Uniswap is a decentralized exchange (DEX) that allows users to trade cryptocurrencies directly with each other, without the need for a centralized exchange. It uses an automated market maker (AMM) model to determine prices and liquidity.
- Arweave: Arweave is a decentralized storage network that allows users to permanently store data on the blockchain. This means that data stored on Arweave is immutable and can’t be deleted or modified, making it useful for applications that require data integrity and verifiability.
- Gnosis: Gnosis is a decentralized prediction market platform that allows users to bet on the outcomes of future events. The platform uses a decentralized oracle system to determine the outcome of events, making it resistant to manipulation or bias.
These are just a few examples of the many companies out there that are creating decentralized platforms as part of the web3 movement. By removing the need for centralized intermediaries, these platforms aim to create more equitable and transparent systems that benefit everyone.
How to Invest in Web3 Companies Using Decentralized Platforms
To invest in companies that are creating decentralized platforms, there are several options available to you. Here are a few:
Publicly traded companies: Some companies that are building web3 technology are publicly traded and can be bought and sold on traditional stock exchanges. For example, you can invest in Coinbase, a leading cryptocurrency exchange, by buying its stock on the NASDAQ exchange. Similarly, there are publicly traded companies that are involved in blockchain technology and may be worth researching further.
Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs): Investing in Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs) may sound like a great opportunity, but can be very risky. Cryptocurrency tokens are issued by decentralized platforms to fundraise and incentivize users through ICOs; however, it is critical that you conduct thorough research before investing as the risks involved can be substantial.
Venture capital funds: For accredited investors, becoming part of venture capital firms can be an amazing option for breaking into the blockchain industry. Investing in these funds will grant you access to a wide range of web3 investments that offer significant potential returns from their early stages. With this route, you could easily make progress towards financial success and long-term stability.
Crypto exchanges: Cryptocurrencies are a fundamental component of web3 platforms and can be exchanged for other coins or tokens on cryptocurrency exchanges. Take Ethereum, which has its own currency ‘Ether (ETH)’. Users have the opportunity to transact this token in various digital asset markets across the globe.
Web3 Companies Other Than Decentralized Platforms or NFT Marketplaces
Web3 is a rapidly evolving field, and there are many different types of applications and technologies that you can invest in beyond decentralized platforms and NFT marketplaces. Here are a few examples:
- Decentralized finance (DeFi): Decentralized Finance (DeFi) is the vision of an open, accessible, and transparent financial system-built on blockchain technology. This concept has given way to a plethora of applications – from lending and borrowing platforms to stablecoins, prediction markets and beyond. With DeFi come immense opportunities for growth in global finance.
- Web3 gaming: Web3 technology is revolutionizing the gaming industry with its capacity to produce highly immersive and interactive experiences. The blockchain factor allows players to create unique assets, rewards, and economies specific for each game – all of which are controlled by those participating in the games.
- Digital identity and authentication: Web3 technologies have the potential to revolutionize digital identity and authentication by replacing outdated usernames and passwords with more secure, efficient, and user-friendly solutions. By introducing decentralization into the mix, these systems can provide unparalleled levels of security – making them ideal for any organization or individual looking to protect their data.
- Supply chain management: Web3 technologies are transforming supply chain management systems by empowering goods and materials to be tracked on a distributed ledger. This improved visibility, security, and trust among industry partners leads to reduced fraudulence as well as augmented efficiency.
- Energy and environmental solutions: Web3 technologies present us with a remarkable opportunity to create sustainable, decentralized energy solutions. By leveraging renewable sources such as solar and wind power through blockchain-based platforms, we can exploit their potential to manage and distribute energy in an efficient manner.
How to Invest in These Web3 Companies
The gameplan is pretty similar to the list above, but we’ve put together 11 additional investment paths to consider:
Angel investing: If you’re considering investing in nascent startups, becoming an angel investor might be the right approach for you. Here, your own capital is swapped out for equity in a startup venture; while this carries some risk with it, substantial rewards could also come through. Thus, prior to any investment decision being taken on your part, make sure that you have good knowledge of the company’s market potentiality and business model as well as its team members.
Decentralized Autonomous Organizations (DAOs): Decentralized Autonomous Organizations (DAOs) offer a great way to enable participation and invest in projects. Powered by smart contracts and running on blockchains, DAOs provide individuals with the opportunity to engage in governance decision-making for the organization as well as reap rewards through activities or possession of its tokens.
Incubators and accelerators: Through targeted support, mentorship, and resources tailored to web3 startups, incubators, and accelerators have become a powerful tool in the early-stage startup world. These programs often offer equity stakes to their participants – making them even more attractive as investment opportunities.
Crowdfunding: Crowdfunding platforms like Kickstarter or Indiegogo can be a fantastic way to invest in early-stage web3 projects and startups. Even though investing through crowdfunding does not give equity in the company, your contribution still helps contribute to further progress of an exciting project.
Index funds: Investment companies now offer index funds that invest in a selection of cryptocurrencies and other web3-based assets. This sort of portfolio offers the opportunity to benefit from a range of cutting-edge technologies and applications without needing to conduct intensive research on each investment option.
Education and training: Investing in yourself through learning and training is an invaluable approach to accruing knowledge and mastery of web3 technologies. This can range from attending conferences, taking online courses, or engaging with hackathons and other local activities. With a heightened understanding of web3 tools, you may be more likely to recognize lucrative investment opportunities as well as make informed decisions on your investments.
Staking: Some web3 platforms allow users to earn rewards by staking their cryptocurrency tokens. Staking involves holding the tokens in a wallet and locking them up for a period of time, in exchange for earning interest or other rewards. Staking can be a way to earn passive income while supporting the network.
Mining: Some web3 platforms rely on mining to validate transactions and secure the network. Mining involves using computer processing power to solve complex algorithms, in exchange for earning cryptocurrency rewards. While mining can be profitable, it requires significant investment in hardware and electricity costs.
Partnerships: Investing in partnerships between traditional companies and web3 startups can be a way to gain exposure to the web3 industry. For example, a traditional gaming company partnering with a blockchain-based gaming platform could provide investment opportunities through equity stakes or other forms of collaboration.
Real estate: Real estate investments are being transformed with innovative web3 platforms that leverage blockchain technology. Investing in projects powered by these technologies, such as decentralized property ownership and rental networks, could open up a world of lucrative opportunities within this revolutionizing industry.
Non-profit organizations: By donating or taking part in other forms of support, you can help some non-profit organizations further the development and utilization of web3 technologies. These organizations are devoted to fostering decentralized ecosystems for a more secure world through such initiatives. Investing in these endeavors will undoubtedly aid in propelling the growth and adoption of these sophisticated technological advancements across the globe.
Before investing in web3, it’s critical to study the associated risks and be aware of what you’re getting into. The industry is still very young so there’s a high level of volatility and unpredictability, but that’s why we’re here. To learn!
Related article: Buying & Selling High-Ticket Items Using Blockchain