For the gaming industry, the web3 impact on gaming is exciting as it permits players to own their in-game assets. This means that gamers can buy, sell and trade their virtual items for actual money – just like any physical item! Blockchain technology makes this possible by providing a secure and transparent platform that records all transactions accurately.
Apart from permitting true ownership of in-game assets, web3 will also empower gamers with more democratic and just gaming experiences. Instead of relying heavily on central servers for the game-playing process, players can now depend on peer-to-peer networks to enjoy their desired games. Consequently, players will have increased authority over the fate of their own web3 games as they take part in them.
Web3 game opens a new door of possibilities for the gaming industry, putting power back in players’ hands by allowing them to own and control their digital assets while creating more secure, decentralized, and transparent gaming experiences. Let’s explore a few of these new possibilities below.
Ownership: In-Game Items
In classic video games, usually the items acquired in-game are managed by game developers or publishers. This means players have limited control over what they own in these worlds. With web3 technology though, gamers can now truly take ownership of their virtual goods via blockchain integration – giving them an entirely new level of autonomy and power.
Blockchain provides a safe, secure digital ledger to record transactions. When it comes to in-game purchases made by players, the blockchain safely registers ownership of that item which enables them to prove they own it and prevents anyone else from making any false claims.
By being anchored to the blockchain, players can securely and openly exchange their in-game items with one another. Unlike traditional transactions that need a central authority for verification and processing, blockchain technology enables users to make direct peer-to-peer transfers without any third-party involvement.
As an example, a player in a web3 game can decide to sell their rare sword for real money. The blockchain makes it possible to safely transfer possession of the sword from one user to another and both parties can confirm that the transaction has been completed. This opens up opportunities for players who want freedom over buying and selling digital items with true ownership rights. It’s secure, transparent, and puts decision-making power back into the hands of the users – allowing them total control over their virtual assets!
By utilizing web3 technology and blockchain, the gaming industry has opened up a new realm of control for players. Players can now safely buy, sell and trade their in-game items with confidence knowing that ownership is securely recorded on an immutable ledger. This unprecedented level of transparency provides peace of mind to all involved in digital asset trading.
More ways to make money IRL
Web3 gaming offers remarkable financial prospects for gamers, enabling them to make real money. Here are some of the ways that you can benefit financially from web3 gaming:
Play-to-earn games: With play-to-earn gaming players are rewarded for completing specific challenges or tasks like winning fights and finishing quests. You can then exchange these rewards for real cash or in-game items.
Tournaments and competitions: Utilizing Web3 technology, game developers are now able to quickly and seamlessly organize online tournaments for players. Whether it’s cryptocurrency, cash or in-game items that they’re competing for; these exhilarating competitions allow gamers to prove their worth while walking away with some amazing prizes.
Content creation: Web3 technology provides gamers with a unique opportunity to make money from their gaming hobby. Players can create and share tutorials, guides, or gameplay videos so that others may learn from what they have done inside the game world. These players could profit through ads embedded on their content, sponsorship deals for bigger payouts down the line, or donations directly sent by viewers who appreciate them.
Trading and flipping assets: As we previously discussed, web3 technology grants gamers the ability to possess their digital items and exchange them with other players. That means that gamers can feasibly generate income by purchasing at a low cost then reselling for greater value – just like the physical marketplace.
With the emergent technology of web3 gaming, gamers now have new opportunities to gain real-life financial rewards from their gameplay. As this technology continues to advance through leaps and bounds, we can be sure that even more inventive ways for gamers to make money while participating in their beloved games will come into fruition.
What games will be most affected?
Numerous gaming genres could benefit from web3 technology, with some of the most promising examples being:
Collectible card games (CCGs): Games like Magic: Web3 technology has the potential to evolve popular card games like The Gathering, Hearthstone, and Pokemon TCG by giving players true ownership of their digital cards. This would open up a whole new world of opportunities for trading these virtual items with others in exchange for real money.
MMORPGs: MMORPGs such as World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy XIV feature expansive virtual economies where gamers trade items with each other. Web3 technology could revolutionize the way these trades occur by providing greater security, transparency and ease-of-use – enabling players to exchange goods for actual money in a secured environment.
Esports: With millions of fans worldwide, competitive gaming is already a prosperous industry. However, Web3 technology could make esports far more lucrative by allowing players to gain real-world income for their accomplishments in the virtual world.
Virtual worlds: Through interactive platforms such as Second Life and Minecraft, users can construct captivating virtual realms where they can experiment with their brilliant ingenuity. With the introduction of web3 technology, players could legally own what they have proposed in these digital universes; even profiting from them by selling to other avid gamers!
All games with a powerful economy or the focus of accumulating rare items can be affected by web3 technology. It will stir up excitement to observe how game developers use this novel tech to fashion more immersive and captivating gaming encounters for gamers.
Player-to-Player Crypto Exchanges
Web3 gaming will impact the way gamers use and interact with cryptocurrency, allowing for secure and transparent transactions between players. Cryptocurrency can be used in a variety of ways within web3 gaming:
- Buying and selling in-game items: Through the use of cryptocurrency, players now have the ability to securely and transparently purchase and sell in-game items between themselves. Blockchain technology has made it so that there is no need for a middleman or third party.
- Paying for game services: With web3 gaming now on the rise, players may have the unique opportunity to pay for game services with cryptocurrency. Examples of such services include private server hosting and accessing premium content.
- Rewards and incentives: Web3 gaming can potentially offer cryptocurrency rewards, giving players a dynamic incentive to keep playing. With this reward system in place, gamers are more likely to remain engaged and motivated as they have something tangible to look forward too with their hard work.
- Betting and gambling: With Web3 gaming, players now have the opportunity to not only bet and gamble with cryptocurrency but also compete against one another – ushering in a new realm of possibilities for them to acquire additional cryptocurrency.
All in all, utilizing cryptocurrency for web3 gaming offers heightened protection and transparency when it comes to transactions between participants. Additionally, this can open the door to never-before seen forms of involvement and competition– gamers will be able to purchase items with crypto tokens, pay for services, as well as engage in completely new competitions against each other.
Companies using web3 technology in their games
One of the more notorious companies that jumped into web3 gaming was Meta (formerly Facebook). Web3 technology is expected to play a key role in the development of the Metaverse, as it enables the creation of decentralized applications and allows for the ownership and transfer of digital assets.
Here are a few ways that the Metaverse plans to leverage web3 technology in games:
Decentralized ownership of digital assets: The Metaverse offers an unprecedented opportunity for players to gain true ownership of their digital assets – from in-game items, to virtual real estate and other unique collectibles. These possessions are stored on the blockchain ledger.
Interoperability between games: Web3 technology brings forth a truly remarkable experience for all gamers, allowing them to transfer their digital assets from one game or virtual world to another. To use the example reference earlier, players can now use the same rare sword in multiple games instead of having separate versions in each one! This is true interoperability that enables seamless transitions between different platforms and opens up an abundance of possibilities.
Play-to-earn opportunities: The Metaverse is predicted to open up innovative avenues for players, not only in the form of entertaining and stimulating experiences but also through potential rewards such as crypto. Players can gain these awards by surpassing tasks, triumphing battles or even reaching other objectives within the Metaverse.
New forms of gameplay and interaction: Web3 technology opens the door to an entirely new realm of possibilities within the Metaverse. Players have access to a wide range of immersive experiences, ranging from collaborative web3 gaming that allows them to work together towards shared objectives, to participating in live events such as concerts or sports games.
The Metaverse is aspiring to impact the social and gaming experience through these blockchain games. By implementing blockchain in order to permit decentralized possession of game assets and by introducing innovative opportunities for play-to-earn as well as collaborative virtual reality gameplay, this upstart has the potential to profoundly transform traditional gaming.
Meta isn’t the only company with big plans for web3 though. Several gaming companies are using web3 technologies to create new web3 gaming experiences that leverage the benefits of blockchain and decentralized systems. Here are a few examples:
- Axie Infinity: Axie Infinity is a blockchain-based game that provides an immersive experience of collecting and battling creatures known as “Axies”. Not only is it fun, but you can also make money by trading in their own cryptocurrency – AXS. You can use your coins to buy or sell various items within the game and start building up your collection.
- Decentraland: Welcome to Decentraland, a virtual world where players can purchase and construct properties using MANA – the official cryptocurrency of the platform. Built on Ethereum’s blockchain technology, Decentraland provides an innovative opportunity for users to interact with each other in an immersive environment. Securely buy, sell, and develop your own land within this digital realm.
- The Sandbox: The Sandbox gaming platform offers users the unique opportunity to create, share and monetize their own gaming experiences via a decentralized blockchain. Players can purchase virtual land within the game and trade other in-game items with SAND, its native cryptocurrency.
- Gods Unchained: Gods Unchained is a blockchain-based collectible card game that grants players the ability to possess and trade their cards as digital assets. GODS, its own cryptocurrency, can be utilized for purchasing, selling, and exchanging these coveted trading cards.
- Enjin: Enjin is a gaming platform that leverages the power of blockchain technology, giving game developers an unprecedented edge when it comes to creating innovative games. The platform also introduces ENJ, a cryptocurrency built for use in-game purchases and trades of digital items as well as real world assets such as artwork or collectibles.
By leveraging the power of decentralized systems and the investments in blockchain technology, gaming companies are majorly impacting gamer experiences. With web3 impacting gaming like this, players can own in-game items that they can trade or even use to play for real money rewards if they want.